Sunday, July 27, 2008

Losing Weight.

I've been trying to lose weight lately. Oh I used to watch my weight previously. Yeah right ... I watched it as it rose when I stepped on the scale.

When I retired from the military, over the years I went from around 185 to 230. I had stayed around 226 for the longest time, but then went up to 232 and decided that I needed to do something.

I'm doing one of those plans that provide food, as well as help you realize what good portions are. In about 20 days or so I've lost about 7 pounds. This is not to say I don't cheat. I like to have dinner out, and there's one place I love to have lunch at. That said, I've already started to train my stomach on what a good portion is.

I never used to leave anything on the serving plate when I went to PF Chang's, now I regularly take home about half the serving. The diet recommends brown rice, well I really do not like brown rice, so steamed white rice it is. And I love it, and I'm still losing weight.

Lot of it has to do with the fact that it requires you to eat properly; veggies, fruit or salad at every meal, and that it provides a snack at mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and evening. This fulfills the craving for sweets, or something that normally would result in a bowl of ice cream, or something like that.

So, I hope to lose at least 20 pounds, the real test is when I take some vacation next month, will I have the will power to not pig out because I'm on vacation.

In any case, I hope my friends will see less of me during the next part of the year.

UPDATE: I now know I'm really losing weight when a pair of shorts that fit tight without a belt a few weeks ago, dropped to my knees as I walked down the stairs. Time to hit the boxes full of mothballs for any smaller sized clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not one to moderate comments, as I try to moderate my own at other blogs. That said, I will remove offensive, defaming and otherwise inappropriate comments when needed.