Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 2 at GA

I was going to do this day by day, but the realities of GA have hit.    I'm not as young as I was, and by midnight on the 15th, I was totally beat.   Then I wake up at 6am today, the 16th.

Hopefully I'll catch up on this to add my thoughts.    One thing I will say, commissioners need to keep their wits about them.  We were never notified about a vote on a standing rule change for this GA.  It was brought up for a vote, half the commissioners were voting for it even though we had not gotten an electronic copy of the motion other than that which was displayed on the overhead screens for about 30 seconds or so.

By the time I awoke to what was going on, the vote was over, and all I could do was raise a Point of Order.   The answer was not to my liking, so I asked for a Division of the House, which will force a poll of the commissioners.    That said, research afterwards shows that this change is a debatable motion,  that should have had someone speaking to it and against it.     I have to say, the way this was brought up smells of smokey rooms, good ole boys, and back-room politics.

It may be too late to do anything about it unless I can find someone who voted for it, to request a Motion to Reconsider.    I'll add more about this rule change later, along with the rest of the day in a few hours, I hope.

.... and so it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not one to moderate comments, as I try to moderate my own at other blogs. That said, I will remove offensive, defaming and otherwise inappropriate comments when needed.