Saturday, November 8, 2008

Friday Five

Once again, I've found a RevGalPals Friday Five that I can join in on.


Presbyterian Gal asks:

1. What was your favorite comic strip as a child?

2. Which comic strip today most consistently tickles your funny bone?

3. Which Peanuts character is closest to being you?

4. Some say that comic strips have replaced philosophy as a paying job, so to speak. Does this ring true with you?

5. What do you think the appeal is for the really long running comic strips like Blondie, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace as some examples?

Bonus question: Which discontinued comic strip would you like to see back in print?



1. Growing up in the NY/NJ area, it was DICK TRACY !!

2. Hmm ... hard to say. I always follow SALLY FORTH, as its carried in my local paper, but I now follow ROSE IS ROSE online as it was the strip I loved at my previous state of abode. Between the two, I find ROSE IS ROSE more often then not makes me laugh out loud.

3. Charley Brown ... for one, I always say Good Grief when something happens, for another, something is always happening to me !!

4. Somewhat true! You can find answers to almost anything going on today in the comics. Need political advice: see Doonesbury, Opus (sniff), Mallard Fillmore. Marital Advice: see Sally Forth, Rose is Rose, For Better or for Worse. Trouble with coworkers: Dilbert, computers: PC and Pixel (online comic).

5. They're consistently funny and true to life. Charlie Schultz inparted his Christian values into Peanuts in a way that appealed to all, Christian and non-Christian alike. Blondie has kept its starting premise from the 1930's, that is, Dagwood is always the hapless, sandwich-loving office manager and husband, who Blondie always one-ups. And Dennis is everybody's 5 or 6 year old, so everyone could relate.

Bonus: I'd love to see Pogo return. One of the first strips that was a Sunday comic, yet had an editorial edge about the national scene. It skewered without regard to right or left, and still left the 'skewee' (??) laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not one to moderate comments, as I try to moderate my own at other blogs. That said, I will remove offensive, defaming and otherwise inappropriate comments when needed.